skip to main content

Health Services/Nurse


Sue VanDyke
Office Number: 631‐329‐4159
FAX: 631‐329‐4216


Barbara Tracey
Office Number: 631‐329‐4113
FAX: 631‐329‐4207


Lorraine Talmage
Office Number: 631‐329‐4134
FAX: 631‐907‐9840


Required physicals for certain grades:

New York state requires that all students in grades K(kindergarten), 2, 4, 7, and 10 have an updated
physical on file in the nurse’s office. If your student has had a physical at their doctor, it is important
that a copy of that physical is given to the nurse. A physical dated not more than 12 months prior to the
beginning of the school year in which the examination is required fulfills the requirement. For example, for
the 2017-2018 school year, any physical conducted after September 6, 2016 is valid.

New students:
New York state requires that all students new to EHUFSD must have an updated physical on file in the
nurse’s office. This includes all students from Amagansett, Springs, and Montauk school districts, plus all
students registering for kindergarten as well as any newly registered students to the district. Please
send a copy of the physical to the school nurse.

Sports Physicals:
All students playing a school sport, must have a current sports physical on file in the nurse’s office plus
additional paperwork for playing sports. Also if your student uses any medication such as an inhaler,
epipen, etc., the proper paper work for using the medication in school must also be on file in the nurse’s
office. The medication permission slip must be signed by both the parent and the doctor. Also certain
students who have specific medical problems must have clearance from their specialists. This includes,
but not limited to, cardiac problems, kidney problems, chronic disease such as cystic fibrosis, etc. No
yellow card will be issued unless all paperwork is completed and in the nurse’s office.

Physicals are done at EHHS during the summer months at no cost to the student. Please check with the
schools to obtain the dates of the summer physicals.

Every student is encouraged to visit the dentist. Forms for dental visits can be found to the left under Parent
Forms and need to be handled into the nurse.

For a student to take medication at school, the proper paperwork must be on file in the nurse’s office.
This paperwork must be completed by the parent and signed, and then signed by the doctor. All
medication must be brought to school by an adult unless the student has permission to carry his/her
medication. (For a student to carry medication in school, the proper paperwork must be on file in the
nurse’s office signed by the parent and doctor.) Controlled substances such as medication for ADHD,
cannot be carried by any student and must be brought into the nurse’s office by a parent.

All over‐the‐counter medication must be in the original container with the students name on the bottle.
All prescription medications must have the pharmacy label affixed to the bottle with the student’s
name, the name of the medication, the strength of the medication, how it is to be taken and the
prescriber’s name. This includes medication that students are allowed to self‐administer. Remember
students are only allowed to carry medication if the proper paper work is on file in the nurse’s office.
The parent and doctor must sign off stating that the student has permission to self‐administer his/her

Hearing and vision testing is required by the state of New York to be done for students in grades K, 1, 2,
3, 5, 7, and 10 and all new students to the district. If your child fails either the vision or hearing testing
completed at school, paperwork will be sent home.

Please take your child to the doctor to see if there is a problem and return the paperwork to your child’s
school nurse. For hearing problems, a visit to the child’s regular doctor would be the first step; that
doctor may refer your child to a specialist. Vision problems will require a visit to an ophthalmologist or
optometrist. If help is needed, please contact your school nurse.

At the beginning of each school year, cards containing emergency information are to be submitted to
your child’s school. Please make sure that this information is current. If there are any changes, please
keep the school informed. Changes in address and telephone numbers should be given to Mrs. Amanda
Hayes in the district office; her number is 631‐329‐4145.

NYS Public Health Law mandates that schools shall not permit a child to attend unless the parent
provides the school with a signed certificate of immunization completion or a letter from the healthcare
provider stating the student is In the process of receiving the mandated immunizations. The letter must
state the scheduled appointment date for all missing immunizations and be signed by the healthcare

The following immunizations are required for school attendance:


The New Meningococcal Immunization requirement must be completed by September 1, 2017 in order to come to school.

7 - 8 Grade - 1 Dose

12 Grade  - 2 Doses if first is given before the 16th birthday
               - 1 Dose if first is given after the 16th birthday 




  • K-7: 4-5 doses
  • 8-12: 3 doses


  • 6-12: 1 dose


  • K-12: 2 doses

Hepatitis B

  • K-12: 3 doses


  • K - 3: 3-4 doses
  • 4-5: 3 doses
  • 6 - 9: 3-4 doses
  • 10 - 12: 3 doses


  • K - 3: 2 doses
  • 4-5: 1 dose
  • 6 - 9: 2 doses
  • 10 - 12: 1 dose

All forms needed for physicals, medications, dental exams can be found to the left under Parent Forms.
There is also information on influenza. Forms for sports participation can be found on the Athletic page.

The following forms must be completed yearly and returned to the school nurse:

  • Health status update
  • Permission for BMI information to be used (this information is confidential; your child’s name is not
    associated with any data; only numbers are submitted.
  • Dental health certificate
  • Medication administration form, if medication is needed during school time


Sunday, July 22, 2018