New York State Education Law section 409-H, effective July 1, 2001, requires that all public and non-public elementary and secondary schools provide written notification to all persons in parental relation, faculty and staff regarding the potential use of pesticides periodically throughout the school year. The East Hampton UFSD is required to maintain a list of persons in parental relation, faculty and staff who wish to receive 48 hour prior written notification of certain pesticide applications. The following pesticide applications are not subject to prior notification requirements:
- A school remains unoccupied for a continuous 72 hours following an application;
- Anti-microbial products;
- Nonvolatile rodenticides in tamper resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children;
- Silica gel and other nonvolatile ready-to-use pastes, foams or gels in areas inaccessible to children;
- Boric acid and disodium octaborate tetrahydrate;
- The application of EPA designated biopesticides;
- The application of EPA designated exempt materials under 40CFR152.25;
- The use of aerosol products with a directed spray in containers of 18 fluid ounces or less when used to protect individuals from an imminent threat from stinging and biting insects including venomous spiders, bees, wasps, and hornets.
In the event of an emergency application necessary to protect against an imminent threat to human health, a good faith effort will be made to supply written notification to those on the 48 hour prior notification list. If you would like to receive 48 hour prior notification of pesticide applications that are scheduled to occur in your school, please contact: Facilities Manager, Mark Field at EAST HAMPTON DISTRICT OFFICE, 4 Long Lane, East Hampton, NY 11937; (631-329-4163).
AHERA Notification Compliance
The East Hampton UFSD is required annually to notify the public of AHERA inspection information as follows:
INFORMATION ABOUT ASBESTOS CONTAINING MATERIALS, PURSUANT TO AHERA, SECTION 40, CFR 763.84(c), 763.93(d) AND 763.93(g)(4), IS ON FILE IN THE DISTRICT MANAGEMENT PLAN AND IS AVAILABLE FOR REVIEW WITH THE FACILITIES MANAGER, MARK FIELD AT EAST HAMPTON UFSD, 4 LONG LANE, EAST HAMPTON, NY 11937; (631-329-4100).
Buildings in the East Hampton UFSD undergo a rigorous inspection process to ensure that all of our buildings provide a safe and healthy environment for our students and staff.